This page describes how to launch the IceGrid Admin tool.
On this page:
IceGrid Admin is a JavaTM application supported on a wide range of platforms, including Windows, Linux and OS X.
The minimum requirements for running IceGrid Admin are listed below:
IceGridGUI.jar, usually installed in the
libdirectory of your Ice installation. If you are using a Linux binary distribution,
IceGridGUI.jaris installed in
- Java SE Runtime Environment 6 or later
In order to use IceGrid Admin's metrics graphs feature, you will need the following:
- Java SE Runtime Environment 7 or later
- JavaFX Runtime Environment, bundled with recent updates of the Java SE Runtime Environment 7 on Windows, Linux and OS X
You can download Java SE 7 for most platforms from Oracle.
If you want to read IceGrid XML files from IceGrid Admin, you also need to have the
icegridadmin command-line utility (version 3.5) in your
Starting IceGrid Admin
On Windows IceGrid Admin can be started by clicking the IceGrid Admin icon in the Start menu:
On OS X IceGrid Admin can be started by clicking the IceGrid Admin icon in Finder Applications folder:
On Linux with a RPM installation, you can use the
icegridgui script installed in
On all platforms, you can also start IceGrid Admin from a terminal by typing:
Command Line Arguments
IceGrid Admin can be configured using Ice properties, and like with most Ice applications, these properties can be set using command-line arguments or a configuration file (or both).
Since IceGrid Admin is an Ice application (a client to the IceGrid registry), setting regular Ice properties can be useful as well. For example, you can set the Ice.Trace.Network property to get detailed information about network communications sent to
There are also a number of properties specific to IceGrid Admin itself, describe in IceGrid Administrative Client Properties.
If you need to set many properties, it is a good idea to write a configuration file and use the
--Ice.Config command-line argument to specify the location of this file. For example:
Main IceGrid Admin Window
The main IceGrid Admin window allows to navigate between your live deployment and the definitions of several applications.
The main IceGrid Admin window shows one or more tabs:
- The Live Deployment tab () displays information about an IceGrid deployment you have logged into. There is always one and only one Live Deployment tab. When you are not connected to an IceGrid deployment, the corresponding pane is empty.
- A Live Application tab () displays application definitions retrieved from the IceGrid registry you are connected to. As long as you do not change anything in the associated pane, IceGrid Admin will keep the information up-to-date. For example if another administrator adds a new server definition in this application definition, it will appear automatically and immediately in this pane.
A File-Based Application tab () displays application definitions retrieved from an IceGrid XML file.
- An icon-less tab displays the definitions of an application that is not bound to an IceGrid registry or to a file, such as a brand new application. A live application with unsaved modifications also becomes icon-less if the connection to its IceGrid registry is lost.
The status bar at the bottom of the main window shows information about operations performed by IceGrid Admin, or messages received from the IceGrid registry.